gobsmacked

Today was...

I don't even know if this is possible.  I'm a little afraid to talk about it for fear I'll wake up in the morning and find it's gone back.

But for now - this morning I got up and went to work and everything seemed much as it has been.  My music in the car sounded pretty rough, and people in my morning meetings seemed whispery or beepy or whatever, just as they have. 

And then in midafternoon I was outside one of our buildings talking to a co-worker, and he sounded normal.  I didn't have to focus to hear and we were just standing there talking.  And later on, others were sounding more normal too.  And at dinner my husband sounded not only more normal but even a little bit louder.  I mean, right now he's talking to someone on the phone in the living room and I'm in the next room and not only am I hearing his voice but I can understand his side of the conversation.  I don't think that's EVER happened before.

And I got on the treadmill to do some exercising and turned on a video, and the voices sounded good.  Even the theme song sounded good, and that's been pretty abysmal, even yesterday.  In fact yesterday I was thinking that the voices on the video sounded worse than usual.
 
Does this happen?  I don't even know.  At work we have some software that permits some fairly simplistic data analysis - you put your data in and it runs some charts and analyzes the changes in data over time.  And sometimes you can see on the chart where things suddenly started working better.  We call that a step-change.  I don't know if the term is unique to us, but I never heard it before we were acquired.

But this feels a lot like a step-change.  If it persists.  

Wow.

Comments

  1. Excellent! And re step change: The term mathematicians use for that sort of thing is step function, and one figured strongly in the first research paper that had my name as a co-author, so it’s got a special little nook in my memory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht