eureka

I think I've figured something out.  I'm not absolutely sure, because I haven't been in to see my audiologist, and she's the person who could confirm it.  But I've been wondering why, after my January appointment - in which we decided not to change the mapping in my left CI - the unintegrated high frequencies suddenly became so much more prominent.

I mean, why the need for aural rehab when there was no change to the mapping?  But the brain's a complex thing, and it's actually happened before, though not nearly so prominently.

But I wonder if what we did on the right side affected what I hear on the left.  Because we did reduce the volume on the lower frequencies in an attempt to reduce (or even get rid of) the echo on the right.  And if the lower frequencies are reduced in volume, that means the higher frequencies are comparatively a higher percentage of what I'm hearing overall.

So maybe that affected it.  In my February appointment we remapped both sides and the high and mid frequencies ended up being increased in volume while the lower frequencies were reduced again, so I'm seeing a bit more of it again - the tinniness is going to have to be rehabbed into submission yet again.

It's worth it in the long run, even if it's kind of weird for a couple of weeks.  But I just wonder whether the fact that the CIs are working together could mean that what happens on one side could affect what I hear on the other?  It's all one brain, after all, though it is two separate auditory nerves.

Who knows?  I don't have another scheduled appointment till late April, though I may be going in sometime in March.  The audiologist from Med-El is going to be at our clinic sometime and my audiologist is going to try to schedule me an appointment with both of them so we can discuss the echo and see if the Med-El person has suggestions.

It's nice to have access to additional resources.  And I don't see it as a reflection on my audiologist at all - she's smart, and if an echo that's this persistent is something she hasn't seen before, who knows, it may end up being a learning opportunity for her too.

So we'll see.  I'm hoping to find out if my theory is correct and get that echo reduced.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht