Works for me

Generally, the first six months after receiving CIs involve many and frequent audiologist appointments.  But by May of last year I was past that stage and was planning to go in and have an appointment every six months.

Last time I actually regretted doing the re-mapping - it had been sounding really good, and I knew that each time we change the mapping it takes my brain a long time to get that back.  In fact, I'm just now getting back to the same sound quality that I had last October before we did the new mapping.

So I had been planning to ask my audiologist not to re-map.  Usually she checks the electrode function and we discuss how things are going, but basically the mapping is the primary function of the visit.  But I was going to go in, make sure everything else is okay, and then ask her not to re-map, which I know is okay because we talked about it last time.

But my appointment was for next Tuesday.  I don't know if the state will be lifting the shelter in place requirement, but given the hour and fifteen minute drive to the University where the clinic is and the fact that I didn't want to remap, I emailed this week to cancel.

Turns out she'd already cancelled it, and in fact the clinic is on minimal staffing and she's not even working.

I don't know when I'll have another appointment, but I'm just fine with not going now.  Even though I'm working, I'm also trying to reduce my exposure to people I don't need to see.  Many people are working from home, and as of this week we have our temperature taken as we enter the building.  And even if the governor does relax some of the social distancing rules I doubt I'll change what I'm doing - with no vaccine and inadequate testing, I'm not planning to take any chances.

So I'm fine with missing my appointment.  My CIs sound great.  Let's leave it at that for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht