checking in

Well, jeez.  It's been over two weeks since I posted anything.  That feels like a long time, I guess I've grown used to publicly obsessing over the little details of becoming a ciborg. 

Heh.

I had an audiology appointment on December 19; we remapped the left side and let the right side stay where it is for now.  We also activated my NEW NEW NEW Rondo 2 processors; these are a different model, just released by Med-El - there's nothing behind the ear, the entire processor is over the implant magnet. 

I've been excited to get those, and I think they're going to be great for at least some things.  There are some differences - among other things, they have only one microphone so there's no directional listening capability.  But as I have been in the habit of using the omnidirectional program with my behind-the ear processors, that itself isn't a big deal for me.  

But I'll admit I've not been using them all that much.  They sound a little different - not a lot, but since I'm still working on my left side's rehab, I've used them from time to time but have been focusing on getting the left side up to speed with the right, using mostly my original behind-the-ear processor.  The benefit of that, at work anyway, is that if I go out in the plant I can use the directional programs and turn down some of the background noise.

I think once I'm farther along with the rehab I'm going to love these though - they're really light and it's not at all obvious that they're there on my head.

I also had an appointment with the speech pathologist and learned that my left side isn't progressing as fast as the first (which is apparently not unusual) (and in my case, not at all surprising, because I'd developed a disinclination to take off the right processor and just work on the left because together they sound so much better than the left does separately).

So now I'm working on rectifying that.  I had a six-day weekend over Christmas, and now have a four-day weekend for New Year's and am spending a lot of time with my left processor.  I'm hoping that by the time I have my January appointment I'll be ready to move on to thinking more about how the two work together.

Sometimes the progress feels slow; but slow does get there in the end. I'm trying not to be too impatient, though being me, impatience is sort of built-in.  But I can hear the progress, and that's all it takes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht