all at once

For all the gratitude that I expressed in my last blog post, it's not been easy, starting over again, more or less, with the second CI.  The sound quality went back almost to what it was the first time - the better sound in the first CI couldn't overpower the poor sound in the new one.  Overall, it was better than the second one alone, but not as good as the first - even with the persistent echo.

And that's just been how it is.  Each day I get up and put on both processors, and then when I leave for work I'd turn on the sound system in the car and pull the magnet off on the right side, to help with the rehab of the left.  And then when I get to work I use both again, till I get home and put the right one away so when I listen to my husband or the TV or anything else it's just that one, so it could start sounding better.  On weekends I sometimes used some of the aural rehab apps, but not much, because even with the second CI I can understand, it just doesn't sound great.  It's voices and conversation and music that I need, not drills.

It's been getting better, gradually.  The thing about a gradual change is that it's not all that perceptible on a day to day basis and it's only when something happens to make it obvious that things are in fact changing, that I can stop and realize that I was, and am, right to trust the process.

Because this week, I've come to realize, having two CIs is what sounds right to me now.  Oh, the echo's not gone and the left one still needs work to integrate the high frequencies, but having just one seems lacking, and not having my processors at all is -  well, entirely lacking.

This is me now.  This is, after all, what I've been working toward.  It is everything I've been hoping, and I know it will keep improving.  

It's astonishing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht