helloooooo

Today we went out to our new house and spent the day there.  We'd ordered a chest of drawers and a dresser and had to schlep them from the living room to the room they go in, which meant stairs.  Once we got them in the right spots and the drawers in, and even some sweaters in, we went on to other things that needed doing.

My husband was wiring a new switch in the mudroom - we needed an outlet, since there wasn't one, and he was bothered because the garage lights have to be turned out from switches in the garage and he wanted one in the mudroom.  He also wired an outlet to the switch and put a nightlight (shaped like a rubber ducky, we're just classy as hell) so that if the duck is lit up, we'd know we left the lights on in the garage and we could switch them off from inside the house.

But this involved pushing a wire from downstairs up through the wall.  So he asked me to stand in the mudroom and wait for the wire to appear, and pull it up.  He went downstairs and - and really, this really should be shouted from the rooftops - asked me if I could hear him.

AND I COULD.  

Seriously, I thought I'd plotz right there in the mudroom.  I have NEVER.  Even now I'm sort of wowed by this.  
 
I'd thought that my CI moment for the day would be when he installed a flashing-light smoke alarm in the room I'm sleeping in when I stay there during the week (we haven't actually moved yet but it's much, much closer to where I work) and the flashing lights worked and I wasn't bothered at all by the screeching of every fire alarm in the house because I popped the coils off my magnets and didn't hear a thing.

But hearing speech through a wall up and up one storey completely beats not hearing the fire alarm.  Hands down.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht