wow. just wow.

I work for a company that relies heavily on conference calls.  We're global, we have a matrix organization that requires us to work with our colleagues worldwide, and for most people, the phone is a good way to do that.

Me, not so much.

But I get invited to calls anyway.  My coping mechanism for most of the last twenty years has been to use the speaker on my office phone and have someone there with me who can let me know what I miss.  Usually there's someone else from my location involved too, but once or twice I've asked people to be there just to help me out, and if they can, they do.  I've mentioned before what a great group of people I work with.

Today I got up at my normal (on the late end of office hours) time and was getting ready to get in the car at ten till eight when I happened to check my phone.  I had a notification for a meeting scheduled at 8:00.  

Okay, so that's not going to work - it's about 25 minutes for me to get to the office.  I grabbed my neckloop, got in the car and dialed in to the call, hoping for the best.

The call started a little late so for the first couple of minutes I was chatting with my friend T, who knows about my CI and geeks out on my tech with me.  Then the other fifteen people (!!!) called in and the call started.

Well, it was amazing.  With the neckloop and my CI set to telecoil, it was like the people on the call were right there in my head.  It's kind of amazing to me all the time - with a CI, it's obvious that the sound isn't going through your ears, it's right there in your head.  And this was clearer than any phone call I can remember for the last twenty years.

I need a remapping pretty badly, I have an echo that's pretty obnoxious, and I have an appointment on Friday.  But even with the echo I could hear everyone on the call.  My boss's boss was on it, and I've never been able to hear J on the phone.  I could hear him.  The guys in Germany?  I have literally NEVER heard them well enough to understand, but I could hear A talking clearly.

Added to that, the decisions made in the call made me pretty happy as well.

This is just incredible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht