11 days to go

...till activation, that is.  I'm nine days post-surgery so tomorrow it will be ten days since surgery and ten days till activation.

Activation is not going to be the end of this, of course, there will be rehab and unintegrated frequencies just like before, but it's when I can start working on getting both ears hearing properly and then working together.  I'd be willing to start now, but I'm not sure there's a magnet strong enough to hold the coil on my head with the post-surgical swelling.

It's not that the swelling is particularly noticeable, but it's definitely there if I reach up and touch the implant site.  But nine days post-surgery, most of the pain is minimal - my neck hardly hurts at all, the incision is mostly itchy, and the implant site only hurts if I put pressure on it (or roll over on it at night).

So, not bad, really.  I've caught up on my normal exercise and am ready to go to work tomorrow.  I'm still not used to this business of being completely deaf, though, and neither's Ron, come to think of it.  Last night I went to bed - put my processor in the dry box and my battery in the charger and was lying there reading and Ron came in and tried to talk to me.

Yeah, no.  So we both have to get used to that.  I'm not seeing any evidence that there's any change either.  I can hear some really loud percussive sounds with just my own ears, but not voices at all.  Nine days isn't really enough to know for sure that there's no fluid in the inner ear, so there's still some possibility that it might improve a little, but I'm not going to count on it.

What I'm counting on is getting my other processor and being able to hear better after becoming deaf than I ever could when I was only hard of hearing.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht