hey I heard that

Recently I've been noticing that my ability to hear things that I couldn't before has been getting steadily better.  I suspect my word comprehension now may even be a bit better than the 89% that I got in January.  Last week I had a half-hour phone call and heard the whole thing - and that's huge, I've been avoiding the phone for fifteen years.

And today I had a series of meetings, including some time in a very noisy production area, and had no trouble hearing throughout the day.  It's actually kind of difficult to maintain a professional demeanor when what you really want to do is just up and down exclaiming, "HEY I HEARD THAT!".  

I haven't started making voluntary phone calls yet, but in the business calls that I'm in I'm hearing more than I have in a long, long time.  It's really amazing.

I also heard from another recent implantee that she has trouble hearing for an hour or so after flying if she sits in the window seat.  I have often sat in the window seat, but haven't flown since receiving my CIs, so didn't know about that.  But I wasn't able to get us window seats this time - I booked the flights in November for a May trip and the flight was almost entirely full.  But maybe I can be glad about that if what I'm hearing is true.

In a month I'll be traveling with CIs for the first time.  It will be interesting - will I hear the announcements?  I find that I am hearing the pages on our plant PA system better than I used to, but they're not nearly as clear as in-person speech or even (dare I say it) the phone now.  I'll be with my husband so I'll be okay even if I can't hear, but it would be kind of cool to learn that I can understand when they call for boarding.  Most of my life I've had to park myself near the desk at the gate and ask the gate agents to let me know when I can board.  They always do, but it would be cool to gain that little bit of near-normality.

I really wish I'd done this about ten years ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht