c'est bon

We just got back from vacation - eleven days in France, during which I didn't do any of my normal listening - no TV while on the treadmill, no meetings at work (oh, sob) - lots of talking to my husband but not so much with other people.

Except you do, of course.  We talked to people in restaurants and in museums.  And neither of us speaks French, but I heard enough even in a week and a half to start putting some credence in the immersion method of learning a language.  On the way back I went into the restroom at the airport and a woman came out of a stall and turned to me and said something.  It took a minute to sink in but I actually realized that she was telling me that the stall was out of paper.

Pretty cool for me.  I'd bet anything, a year ago I wouldn't even have heard her, let alone understood and certainly not understood in French.  

And now I'm back home, have worked a couple of days.  Today I went out to run some errands (actually this translates to buying two pairs of shoes, heh) and turned on the music in the car and it sounded better than it did before I left, even though I haven't listened to any music in the last couple of weeks.

Listening is listening, I guess.  The sound of people's voices, music, TV, everything is sounding better.

Well, not the screaming toddler on the flight from Paris to Minneapolis.  Even my CI can't make that sound good.  But in a way it did - I popped the magnets off my implants and enjoyed the silence.

Peace out.  :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht