zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

All that agonizing that I did whether to go bilateral in one surgery? 

HA.

Although I'm more certain than ever that I will try to get my second ear done yet this year, I've come to realize that the reason NOT to do them at the same time is something that wasn't even discussed by my medical team or by anyone on any of the CI forums that I've seen.

Namely, sleep.  Something I haven't been doing well because the implant site is still way too sore to put the weight of my head on.  I can go all day with essentially no pain at all.  I can still feel the thing in my head, but it's doesn't hurt, it's just there, like a corner of my foreign head that is forever Austria.  

But let me roll over onto the right side of my head while sleeping and damn.  Hurts enough to wake me up.  Part of it's the implant, but part of it's my ear, the top rim is still quite sore and tender - again, only when touched, but rolling over on it will most definitely get my attention.  That's actually one of my mental notes to ask the surgeon when I have my follow-up appointment next week:  what the heck happened to my ear?  The incision follows the back of the ear and it's really close, but I wouldn't think that would cause this kind of tenderness.  Maybe they clamped it down to get it out of the way of the implant site?  I've no clue.  But I'm sure as heck going to ask.

I'm just so glad I'm doing them sequentially at this point.  I'm looking forward to being able to sleep on my right side again; it's been my default for years, though I think that's mostly because that's where my clock is.  But habits are habits, and I've been waking up every couple of hours for almost three weeks now.   All the CI peeps I'm in touch with say it does go away, and you can sleep normally after the healing is complete.  This is exceedingly nice to know.  :-)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht