beep beep

I'm almost a week past activation now.  There's been some incremental improvement in the sound, but it's a slow process.  My brain is, I think, protesting - something about old dogs and new tricks, to which I say, shut up and get back to work, you slacker!

I had my second appointment with my audiologist today; she insisted that I'm doing well (even though it's been SIX DAYS and it's not even close to perfect)  (have I mentioned that I lack patience?) and that it's a process that will take some time.

She also bumped up my volume so now the beepies are louder - but so are the voices.  I  had a pretty dang functional conversation with R when I got home today, and that was cool even though his voice - all the voices and all the sounds are still accompanied by beeps.   I'm trying to decide whether these sound more like a demented toddler pounding on the keyboard of an early '70s synthsizer (like, you can play it on a Moog, man) or the spaceship in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Either way, it's a strange accompaniment to every single sound that I hear, and I will be grateful when my brain figures out how to integrate all the  frequencies into what will, I sincerely hope, approach normal hearing.  Because when I listen to music in the car it can get seriously, seriously peculiar.

I nonetheless remain amazed by all that I'm hearing in what has been, for  ten years or more, a nearly useless ear.  This may be a slow process and I may in fact be an impatient person but I'm not unaware of the technological marvel that's taking place inside my head.  What a thing.

What a hell of a thing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

post time

phhht