background processing

I've spent this week living instead of worrying.  You know, going to work, figuring things out.  Helping some people in the plant learn a new task.  Added a stop at a second facility to my business trip to Columbia (it's in northern Iowa and so on the way home).  

Basically, trying not to obsess about what's not even happening yet.  And as it so often does, my mind sort of kept on with the CI dialogue without my conscious participation, and I realized yesterday that I've pretty much decided to go ahead and do this sequentially.  On a logical basis I know that the risk is very low that I'd end up completely deaf and the CIs wouldn't help, but I also know that that particular outcome is not acceptable, and that I can't (to return to my FMEA analogy) mitigate the risk adequately.

So yeah, just what the hell was I going on about anyway, knowing that?  Speed?  Getting it over all at once?  Not such a big deal in the scheme of things.  And having come to that realization, I'm extremely comfortable with things playing out the way I discussed it with my audiologist last time we met.  Right ear now, left ear late this year.  I'll have to have two surgeries, but there are worse things than that.  

Of course, I still haven't received authorization from my healthcare insurance company.  And I haven't got any better at waiting.

If this really takes four weeks I'm going to end up so tightly wound my head's going to explode when the letter comes.  AND THEN WHERE WILL WE PUT THE IMPLANT?

Comments

  1. Sounds very sensible. So you will do the worst ear first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. The right (as you may recall)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you said, you really don’t have enough data to make a fully informed decision, but based on worst-case scenarios, I think doing them separately is a reasonable choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

where do we go from here?

phhht

post time